The other name for Hemorrhoids is Piles. Hemorrhoids are clumps of tissues present within the anal canal, that contain blood vessels, muscle and some elastic tissues. The problem arises when this cushion of tissue swells up.
They may either arise
- Outside the anal canal.
- Just below the anal skin.
- Inside the anal canal.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids occur when the pressure within the anal canal or rectum increases due to anything that causes strain or friction. Some of the common causes include:
- Long term/Chronic Constipation or Diarrhea
- Straining while passing stools.
- Heavy weight lifting
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids can be identified by recognizing the following symptoms like:
- Mass protruding out from the anus, which either spontaneously goes back after passing motion or need to be manually pushed back in severe cases.
- Blood tinged stools or fresh blood on toilet paper or toilet bowl.
- Itching and irritation around anus.
- Stool leakage from anus in severe conditions.
Digital Rectal Examination
A gloved finger is inserted into the anus, and examined for presence of mass, blood, impacted stools, etc. More..
Sometimes, when the hemorrhoid is located in a higher position in the anal canal, an anoscopy may be required to confirm the diagnosis. More..
Treatments for Hemorrhoids
- Stool softeners help in passing motion freely, hence avoiding strain in anal canal.
- Ointments that relieve the itching and irritation around the anal skin.
- Stapled Hemmorrhoidectomy is a virtually painless, scar free procedure, used in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- Sitz bath- Take warm baths and soak affected area in a tub filled with warm water for 10-20 minutes time at a time, by sitting on it.
- Ice packs help in reducing the swelling
Prevention of hemorrhoids
- Avoid straining much while passing stools
- Pass stools when the urge is felt.
- Increase the amount of fiber in diet by including food like wheat, barley, fruits, vegetable and oats.
- Drink lots of water.
- Be physically active.
Dr. J. S. Rajkumar
M.S., F.I.C.S., Dip. N.B. (SURG.), F.R.C.S. (ENG.), F.R.C.S. (EDIN.), F.R.C.S. (GLASGOW), F.R.C.S. (IRELAND), F.I.M.S., F.A.I.S., F.R.M.S. (LONDON), F.A.E. (GASTRO), F.A.C.G. (USA), F.I.C.A. (USA), F.I.A.G.E.S., Dip M.I.S. (FR.)
Dr. S. Akbar
Consultant General and Laparoscopic Surgeon
M.B.B.S., M.S (GENERAL SURGERY), D.MAS, F.MAS.
Dr. Anirudh Rajkumar
Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon
M.B.B.S., Dip.N.B. (GENERAL SURGERY).