Dr. R. Kothandan
B.P.T, M.H.S.C. PHYSIOTHERAPY (ORTHO), D.Ac ACUPUNCTURE, MIAP
Mr. Kothandan has obtained his B.P.T in Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University, M.H.S.C Physiotherapy(Ortho) degree in Annamalai university. He has a wide exposure in the field of Clinical Orthopaedics as well as other departments, over the past 18 years. Few of his contributions to the Department of Physiotherapy at LIMA include:
- Treating patients with complaints of:
- Osteoarthritis/ Knee pain
- Cervical Spondylosis/ Neck pain
- Lumbar Spondylosis/ Low back pain
- Intervertibral disc prolapse/ Low back pain
- Periarthritis Shoulder/ Shoulder pain
- Post traumatic stiffness
- Tendonitis/ Tenosynovitis
- Weakness of muscles of face and also of individual muscles
- Trigger points
- Electrotherapy-Treatment is given using electrotherapeutic machines (SWD, Traction, IFT, UST, CPM, Electrical Stimulator).
- Exercise Therapy-
- Patients are taught the appropriate exercises to improve muscle tone, muscle power and range of motion (in case of Post traumatic stiffness & PA shoulder).
- Proper rehabilitation is given after each session.
- Each of the patient is taught about the Do’s and Don’ts to prevent further recurrence.
- If needed, in working population ergonomical analysis is being done and appropriate changes are taught for the complete rehabilitation.
- Handmade exercise charts are given to the patient.
- Review with regular follow ups to assess the improvement.
- Trigger Release-
- For Patients with trigger points, trigger point release is done after which cryotherapy and appropriate stretching of the particular muscle is given.
- Self-stretching exercises are also taught to the patient.
- Manipulation-Understanding the patient’s pathology, manipulation is done either manually (or) by tapping technique.
- Acupuncture-If indicated, acupuncture is also applied in all pain management. (Low back ache, osteoarthritis(knee pain), migraine, tension headache, etc.)
- For In-Patients-
- Pre & Post operative Chest physiotherapy along with incentive spirometry is given in all surgeries of abdomen to prevent lung complications.
- In cases like Chronic Bronchitis, Bronchial asthma, ICD, Pulmonary effusion and Pneumonia. Postural drainage is added along with Chest Physio and Spirometry.
- For stroke and patients who underwent craniotomy,
- Appropriate exercises are given to re-educate the weak muscles.
- Training is given for ADL activities.
- For patients undergoing reconstruction & replacement surgeries,
- Post-operative exercises are taught.
- Continuous passive motion (CPM) machine will be applied to improve range of motion.
- Mobilization exercises are given.
- Earlier mobilization.
Languages known: Tamil and English
MHSC Physiotherapy (Ortho)
Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University
Institute of Acupuncture at Colombu
Professional Registrations and Memberships
Indian Association of Physiotherapists (MIAP)
Registration Number: 12386
Pavitra Hospital, Erukkencherry
Advance Physiotherapy and Acupuncture Center (Self owned Clinic)
Asvitha Physiotherapy and Fitness Center
Senior Physiotherapist (HOD)
Lifeline Rigid Hospital
Aiswarya Medical Foundation
Workshops and Seminars Attended
Attended CPD Programme on Perspectives of Coronary Artery Diseases
Manipal Heart Foundation
Gremaltus Hospital, Kilpauk, Chennai
In Post surgical correction of ‘Claw hand’ in Leprosy patient.